Sunday, March 15, 2015

Blindness

While I'm here, I've been meaning to point something out.

It seems some people are confused when Biblical figures' sight is hidden from something. They ask how someone could be blind to such an obvious thing, like when Jesus appeared after rising from the dead, and people didn't recognize Him right away.

Well, I remember an instance last year when my mother was digging in the back yard, and asked for my assistance moving a "big rock". I moved the "big rock". About two weeks later, she pointed out to me that apparently this "big rock" was actually part of a tombstone. (I heard our street was supposedly built on top of a graveyard, or something.) There was even writing on it, and it had clearly been shaped into a tombstone with corners, flat sides, etc. As somebody who's known for spotting minute details in things (apparently I'm known for this among my family/friends..?) I should have been able to pick up on something so obvious. The corners were clear, and the writing was hard to miss. Even if I personally had somehow missed both of those things despite my (apparent?) ability to pick up on details, a second person was there and also didn't see it. For two weeks.

This is only one example involving two of a huge number of people who have lived throughout the course of human history. I'm not saying that this encounter necessarily has direct, divine significance, but it does go to show how easy it is for the human mind to be blinded from things. So then, the parts of the Bible that discuss somebody's sight/perception being prevented from picking up on something, aren't really that far-fetched in the first place.

God bless you all once more, according to His perfect will. In Jesus' name. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment