Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Clarification

I've said before (a couple other places - not sure if I ever did on this blog) that I won't listen to music from artists that left Christianity. Not even the music from before they left, which is still often alleged to be "Christian".

The reason I won't listen to that music is the same reason I no longer listen to satanic music or pagan music. I'm not automatically opposed to music just because I disagree with the lyrics - there are a few pop songs and rap songs I like, for instance, that have profanity or overall talk about things I don't support. The problem is when the ideology becomes part of the music. This happens a lot in extreme metal. Especially black metal, but other subgenres too. Even dark ambient. It's not just random beats that people put together on a computer, or the result of studying trends and writing songs based on what people want to hear. It's full of genuine emotion. And it's especially magnified when spiritual/religious subjects come up. And there's always a darkness in music that's satanic or pagan or occult etc. You don't even just hear it - you feel it. I can't even stand to listen to it anymore. It's just so unpleasant. On the other hand, I've found unblack metal to be very refreshing to listen to. It's very "clean", and it doesn't have that inner darkness of secular stuff. That much, people tend to agree with or understand.

But what about artists who begin making Christian music, but then leave Christianity? Well, the answer is simple. That darkness I just talked about with satanic bands? Without exception, every. single. band. that I tried to listen to, that claimed to have been Christian in the past, had the exact same darkness woven into it that the other bands had. I remember when I was considering sharing one on my tumblr page. (Note, that blog page may slow down your computer if you have a slow connection.) The more I listened to the song I was going to share, the more depressed I began to feel. Finally I just said to myself, "Can I really justifiably share this around with people? Do I really want to spread the word of this music?" And I simply decided, no, I didn't. And don't be confused - I'm not talking about genuine Christian music that just sounds sad or has sad lyrics. I've shared several melancholic Christian songs, and enjoy them, and even find them useful when I'm feeling down. I'm talking about a clear, undeniable, unpleasant darkness in bands that changed beliefs later on.

And I did, unknowingly, share a few bands like this on my tumblr in the past. The music seemed strange, but I didn't have proof at the time. When I finally did, I just removed them. Without any hesitation. Because I just don't want to share that. And I don't want to listen to it.

It's only "Christian" in name. The fact that they were facing spiritual struggles at the time becomes so clear. And that atmosphere isn't something I can rightfully post on a Christian blog, or allow into my mind. I want to share music that strengthens, and comes from a position of growing closer to God. Not music that carries the exact same atmosphere as the music I left behind.

This is pretty difficult to put into words, but I hope you get the point.

God bless you all, and guide you according to His perfect will! In Jesus' name. Amen.

PS - I also won't listen to music from before someone became Christian. I can speak from experience there. Even back in the old days, I couldn't take some of the music I made. It was so negative, I couldn't even listen to it. So I ended up deleting it. I deleted one song less than a week after I uploaded it! Only these days, do I feel the music I make is "okay" to listen to.

No comments:

Post a Comment