Sunday, November 16, 2014

Untitled

You know how unbelievers always complain that the churches only talk about the nice stories and don't get into the nitty-gritty of the Bible? A passage they often cite is the one "where that guy sends out bears after those kids!"

First of all the original word for "kids" that's used can also be translated as "young men", thus young adults.

Second, "the guy" is Elisha.

Third, the internet will be glad to know that this passage was indeed mentioned in today's church service! We read a passage involving Elisha, and during the sermon, the passage about the bears came up.

I'm often surprised by how firmly (friendly, very welcoming, but firmly) my church stands by actual Scripture. I've heard several horror stories about churches today. Everything the internet says about Christianity, my church basically disproves on a weekly basis. I assume there are others out there, too. I just thought I'd point out that yes, Christians do sometimes read the Bible, even the unpopular stuff...

No comments:

Post a Comment