Sunday, September 13, 2015

Untitled

I haven't heard as many complaints lately about churches avoiding certain passages in the Bible because they're unpleasant or whatever, but I'm sure those complaints are still out there. Last time I addressed this, I pointed out the time my church talked about that passage with Elisha and the bears.

Since I decided to start reading the Bible more, I've found plenty of verses that I guess some unbelievers claim Christians don't read, but I've read them, and plan to read more. Anyway, here's one of the scripture readings from my church's service today. I never thought it was that common in Biblical times to personify things like "wisdom", but I guess they did, at least when teaching people in books like Proverbs; I haven't read much of that book, but I know they do this several times in it.

Proverbs 1:20-33

Wisdom cries out in the street; in the squares she raises her voice. At the busiest corner she cries out; at the entrance of the city she speaks: "How long, O simple ones, will you love being simple? How long will scoffers delight in their scoffing and fools hate knowledge? Give heed to my reproof; I will pour out my thoughts to you; I will make my words known to you. Because I have called and you refused, have stretched out my hand and no one heeded, and because you have ignored all my counsel and would have none of my reproof, I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when panic strikes you, when panic strikes you like a storm, and your calamity comes like a whirlwind, when distress and anguish come upon you. Then they will call upon me, but I will not answer; they will seek me diligently, but will not find me. Because they hated knowledge and did not choose the fear of the LORD, would have none of my counsel, and despised all my reproof, therefore they shall eat the fruit of their way and be sated with their own devices. For waywardness kills the simple, and the complacency of fools destroys them; but those who listen to me will be secure and will live at ease, without dread of disaster." 

Kind of harshly-worded, but it is in the Bible, and I'm always glad when my church isn't afraid to read passages like this that aren't just outwardly pleasant to hear. I've heard several complaints over the years about churches that try to water down the message, and I'm glad there are some that haven't started doing that yet.

God bless you all and guide you according to His perfect will! In Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment