Monday, September 1, 2014

Small rant

Kept for archival purposes. This was my mindset when things really started to change, when I finally let God fully take the reins in my life, and He started cutting away the useless stuff. - August 2015

Ack. This is why I don't enjoy speculative spirituality as much as I used to. I've been talking to a few people lately who have spiritual beliefs pertaining to things that the Bible doesn't seem to directly address. "Oh no, you have to think for yourself!" Well, it's not quite that simple. I don't simply "think for myself" with these matters, I think about them logically and objectively.

God is infallible, the Bible is God's word to us (this is logically sound - I do not simply believe blindly), and so the Bible can be trusted with whatever issues it addresses. Anything else requires objective thought (and prayer).

But there are so many accounts speaking of different things that need to be considered. People all have different ideas of different things, and there's not much telling which ones are valid and which ones are not. God can guide us personally to the truth of such matters, but the problem doesn't end there.

What if the other person isn't receptive to information contrary to their own ideas? Surely I'm not to simply lie or roll with something that may be wrong. But I also don't want to be the sort of religious person who's anxious to call people out on being wrong - I know very well how badly such things go; I don't enjoy being told what to do or think, and neither do they.

It's research with unimaginable amounts of sources claiming all different things, and trying to form an objective opinion on them. The end result is always turning to God. He knows what the objective truth is, and can guide me, and you, to it. The problem is, others may not take so well to it, and I still struggle in how exactly to deal with such things while staying true to my own belief system, the teachings of God.

I suppose what gets me the most is that these people are my friends. I am friends with some people who have very strange and largely esoteric beliefs. I understand these people, and their thoughts, even if I do not always agree with them, but I'm still somewhat confused about what to do when they do point out something with which I disagree. I don't want to be forceful, but I want to point out the fallacies in their logic. I don't want to be disrespectful, but I know it often seems that way.

I suppose all I can do is pray about it. God knows everything - He also knows what I should do in these situations.

I just wanted to rant about this. I hope and pray that readers get something out of this anyway, though. God bless you all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment